Sunday, December 18, 2011

I stalled again this morning.  It's nice to be able to do that in winter without having to worry about bursting into flames because of the late start.  It also means I don't finish up until almost noon.  When I was driving through Burns Park this morning I saw mist rising from the river, but I by the time I got parked and started it was gone.  Maybe next week I'll get out there sooner!

As I was crossing the big dam bridge I looked over the edge at the supports for the new approach they are building.  I have a weird fear of heights--weird in that it only shows itself at certain times.  I have never had any problem running across the bridge, but as I looked at the height of the supports I felt a little dizzy and had to look away.  I think the new approach is a great idea, though, and look forward to seeing it finished.  I know there are a lot of people around here who don't understand the value of putting money into stuff like that, but it's one of the things that makes our community better.  For everyone, too, not just runners and cyclists.  There were as many families out walking this morning as there were athletes running and biking.

I hoped that there would be more deer in two rivers park this morning, but there weren't.  Maybe because of the late start?  There were plenty of walkers on the trail this morning, especially in two rivers.  I was curious as I left the park before my turnaround about the gardens--I had no idea there was a Pulaski County community garden!  It looks great.  It reminded me, though, that I have a garden in my back yard that really needs to be cared for.  Incentive to get to work on that asap!

On the way back there was a train coming along the trail.  I have never seen one along there, and took the earphones out to listen.  As the engine passed I waved and the passenger guy waved back at me.  I heard them toot the horn a little later, maybe for the kid walking with her mom a little ways back.

I left to music out and listened to the birds and the people for the rest of the run.  It felt strong and I finished it at a decent pace for me.  Next week is just 10 miles before building up some more.  The next three weeks will help me decide whether I'm going to register for DC's Rock and Roll in March after Little Rock.  It's a crazy idea but I'm excited about the possibility.

No deep thoughts today, really, but I do hope to run through two rivers park some time when it's frozen.  I bet it's a neat sight, all that swampy green life frozen over.

No comments:

Post a Comment