Saturday, March 10, 2012

Gifts.

On Friday I went out for a 3 mile run.  It was uneventful, but in the last quarter mile or so I approached some little boys on the sidewalk.  Two were in a little power wheels car, and one was standing beside some daffodils.  He had picked one just before I came along.  It's quite likely that he wasn't supposed to be picking those flowers--who knows?  As I came up to him, he suddenly looked up at me and said, "This for you!"  and held out the flower.  I pulled out an earphone to tell him thank you and how sweet he was, accepted my flower, and ran on home holding it.  It's sitting on my windowsill in the kitchen now.  Sweet little boy, sweet little yellow spring flower.

Today I planned on ten miles and only ran 8.  That's ok, right, since I ran a marathon last weekend?  I got the c-r-a-p scared out of me when another runner passed me on the right--this is where earphones can be problematic on the sidewalk.  Just after the other runner passed me, I started to pass an elderly man who was walking.  He motioned to me, so I stopped and again pulled out an earphone to listen.  He told me that I had the most smooth, beautiful running style, and was I using any energy at all?  I assured him that I was and he told me that he loved to see me run.  I thanked him.  Sweet guy.

I'm glad I stopped for a flower from a little boy and a compliment from an elderly gentleman.  And I'm glad to see flowering trees and leaves, though I did think about this the other day--in winter we can see the delicate patterns of tree branches that are hidden in summer.  It's bare and personal until the leaves come in.  Soon enough, the unruly curls of crepe myrtles will tumble down.

No comments:

Post a Comment