Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hogeye Marathoning

Today I finished the Hogeye Marathon in about 4:44.  It was my fourth marathon and my third in six weeks.  It was the race I needed to finish in order to qualify to be part of the Marathon Maniacs.  I feel like a maniac, but I also feel pretty amazing.

I don't really feel like posting a real race report.  The trails were pretty and the course was nice and the volunteer support was amazing.  The hills were killer and I got tired pretty early on.  I wasn't quite sure until, oh, mile 24, maybe? that I would be able to finish because of the weather.  Running along a field with a full on view of a giant thunderstorm is disconcerting enough when you haven't been told there's a tornado warning.  And like I said, I was tired.  It's amazing how much different the experience is when you're well-trained and tapered.  I ran 4:22:04 in Little Rock.  It hurt, but it felt solid.  I struggled in Jackson and I struggled today.  I walked quite a bit.  I know after another proper training period I'll be able to post some more good times.

But let's get to the important stuff.  J was wonderful and supportive, as usual.  We had fun Saturday evening at dinner with Allen and Susan, and then J, Ty, and I enjoyed our evening at the house just sitting around.  That kind of comfortable time is priceless.

Allen had mentioned finding me along the trail, and it was so sweet of him to come out.  He met me first at around 7.5 miles.  He and Susan saw me sitting on the ground to cover a blister a bit after that and checked on me.  Then I saw them at around mile 15 where the turnaround was, and towards the end around mile 23 (he reassured me that the tornado was going north of us.  I really was reassured because I figured if he thought I was in actual danger he would tell me.)  When I saw them I would smile and wave and say thanks and go on.  I would be past them in a few seconds, but seeing them out there meant so much to me.  The support and love of so many people is such a treasure.  I soak it up and appreciate it every time, whether it's J carrying Ty from the hotel at 4:30 am in Tupelo or coordinating the Team Christi effort in Little Rock, my sister, Lee lee, Roy, Kristen, and Jason being at the finish there, my dad dropping everything to go to Jackson with Ty and me, J rolling out of bed before 6 this morning and then making it back to the finish with my bag of stuff and a towel (that Allen told her to get) in the threatening rain to pick me up, or Allen and Susan driving around Fayetteville to cheer me on.  Then there's everyone who encourages me online, comments on photos, sends congrats.  I am truly grateful for everything.

I had only a few deep thoughts while running today.  Most of my thoughts had to do with the clouds and the direction of the wind, the hills, and my legs hurting.  But I did think at one point that running a marathon (or just running!! or just living!!) means stopping when you have to but starting again even though you know it's going to hurt.  It means doing something hard, cursing at it, finishing, celebrating, immediately sort of forgetting how much it kind of sucked and looking forward to doing it again.  It teaches you to know that there will be people who are faster than you, but it doesn't matter because it's not about winning, it's about doing.  It's about putting aside your self-consciousness and claiming something that will make you proud and make you feel strong.  Of course, in my opinion, this is all life stuff.

Right now I don't have another marathon planned until September.  That could change! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment