Friday, August 10, 2012

I'm not running today....but I am.

At 6:15 this morning I hit snooze.

At 6:30 I decided I was not running today and I turned the alarm off.  I ran 5, 8, and 5 this week, I run 20 on Sunday, and I don't need to run today.  I'm tired.  I don't need this 5 miles.

At 7:45, finally awake, I got up, got dressed, and hit the road.  I figured I would pay for the late start by being cooked out on the road at 8:00, but I was wrong.  The first mile or so was bad because of my tight calf problem, but the weather was surprisingly nice.  It wasn't muggy, and there was a fresh-smelling breeze.

I couldn't talk myself into taking the left into Stonewall to make the 5 mile loop, and I considered just cutting the run to 3  miles.  After all, I nearly skipped it--3 is better than nothing, right?  But instead, I finished out the 3 mile loop and then repeated part of it.  The breeze kept up and there was still shade and it was nice.  The leaves on the ground are a reminder of the drought, but they also remind me of fall, which seems both near and far.

In the last mile or so, I thought about how I felt at 6:30 and how badly I did not want to run, and how evenly matched that feeling was by the gladness that I did.  Letting myself have that extra hour of sleep wasn't bad, though.  I'm sitting here now feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment