Sunday, July 10, 2011

On survival and post-race eating


Last night Tyler and I met Katie and Tippy for the Big Dam Bridge Twilight 5k.  Tippy was looking astonishing in her pink harness and leash and was more than ready to knock out 3 miles.  We stood around and enjoyed the band for a while before the race.  I attempted to dance, which is obviously hugely embarrassing to a ten year old, so I danced and dodged various karate chops and flying leaps until the race started.

Ty wanted to do a little jogging, so he and I went a little ahead of Katie and Tippy.  We jogged and walked and talked and enjoyed the surroundings.  Or I pointed out how pretty the sky/river/sunset/view from the bridge looked and Ty rolled his eyes at me and I insisted that One Day You'll Appreciate the Love for Nature I've Instilled in You.  He, in turn, insisted that he just wanted to survive the race.  But it wasn't even real whining and I think he had a good time with his crazy mom.  I had a lovely time for sure--cutting up with Ty, the breeze from the top of the bridge, Pinnacle Mountain all hazy below the pink sunset, the river--What a good place to be!

After the race Katie gave Tippy a piece of pizza, which she enjoyed (and managed to eat delicately and look entitled to), while Ty and I picked back up with the karate dancing.  At one point he told me, "No one will think you're a bad mom because they all think you're my sister."  Cute little punk kid didn't even know he was complimenting his mom, but Katie pointed out on facebook that they may have thought I was his 12 year old brother.  Well, either way is fine.  It was a great time.

Much earlier yesterday morning I went to the river trail for my longest run yet, 15 miles.  I had my Master Plan for avoiding heat stroke: go over the big damn bridge, turn around, and come right back, thus avoiding the Hot Bit at 9:30 am.  I did this.  The first couple of miles were not so great.  My lower legs tightened up and my speed hovered around 10 minutes per mile--not horrible for me (and a 15 miler) but not what I would like to see.  During the hot spot that wasn't hot I got behind another runner.  I don't know who she was, but I appreciate her, because running behind someone for a bit sort of altered my rhythm and pushed my speed past that hump.  I dropped off to refill my water at the 5 mile mark, but I was good and warm and didn't have much trouble staying at around 9:30 or less for the rest of the run.

I went on towards downtown North Little Rock.  I like this part of the trail because it's so segmented.  There are the two bridges, the woodsy part with the turn-off to Emerald Park, the hill along the river, the part with the big circles in the sidewalk.  Then it's on past the skate park, down the road, under the railroad bridge, and into the North Little Rock riverfront area.  Somehow the segments seem to make it go by more quickly.  I turned around at 10.1 miles and headed back.  I started to feel some blisters on my right foot.  Luckily I'd planned for this, so at the skate park again I took off my shoe and put some moleskin on them.  Next week I'll start out that way.  I rejoiced at seeing the 12.3 miles on my garmin at this point--less than 3 miles to go!

All this time I'd been thinking I would have about a 5th of a mile to walk before reaching my car, but I realized with about a mile to go that I'd miscalculated and turned around too soon.  At 14 miles I started thinking, You Can Do It over and over in my head, a mindless running mantra to get me to 15 miles on tired legs.  To survive the race, even though it was just with myself right then. I had to pass my car a bit but finally made the mileage and stepped off the trail.

And there it was, that feeling.  Like I wasn't even walking, just gliding along the top of the grass.  Runner's High.  Or maybe just high on accomplishing something.  Tears pushing at my eyes and the urge to laugh.  Immediate cool breeze and peace.  Contentment.

Seriously chowing down at Waffle House later with J was pretty awesome, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment