Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Monitor and Adjust

That's the motto for teachers--monitor and adjust.  Things aren't working?  Make some changes.  Kids are restless?  Make some changes.  So that's what I decided to do this weekend.  Maybe it was because I was feeling tired.  Either way, I decided to go back to the Higdon training plan that I used for the first marathon.  The long runs increase more slowly and I think I need that.  I'll just be making sure I CROSS TRAIN this time and take better care of my knee.

So Saturday I ran 7 in the growing dark.  Must get reflective gear!!  Yesterday I did 4.25 in a little bit of warm rain before today's cold rolled in.  Today I did a little over 5.  All of them have felt solid and encouraging.

I thought I could never train for a marathon over the winter--COLD! DARK!  But here I go.  If I had to pick the best lesson I've learned, I think I would have to go with the necessity of dealing calmly with uncertainty.  We don't know what will happen and it's ok to be calm about that.  What good does freaking out do?  The farther I get into training for this next race, the more exciting it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment