Wednesday, January 25, 2012

So much to say!
The Mexico trip was awesomely amazing, but it set me back as far as running is concerned (it was worth it!)  We left early on a Saturday when I should have been doing a 12 mile run.  I had thoughts of maybe doing the 12 miles on Sunday, but a couple of hard core margaritas in the pool that afternoon (it was happy hour!) changed my mind for me.  I went out for three runs while I was in Cancun.  Each was 5 miles and each was a struggle.  It was hot, I wasn't comfortable in my surroundings, and it was hot.  I should have done another 12 miler this past weekend, but that didn't happen either.  Moving on...

I ran 5 on Monday, 5 on Tuesday, and 4 this afternoon.  I'd been watching the weather because, if you're local, you know today is about rain, and more rain.  When I got home it was merely cloudy and I raced to get into my running stuff.  I checked the radar. Rain was coming, and it looked to be heavy.  I heard the first few drops hit the kitchen vent...and decided not to go.  I changed into sweats and took the dogs out, feeling a bit cut loose.  Laundry now?   The rain didn't pick up.  I checked the radar a few more times, looked at how slowly it was moving, and threw caution to the wind.  I hurried back into my running stuff and headed out.

I wanted at least 3, preferably 4 miles before the heavy stuff hit.  For most of the run it rained very lightly.  It felt really good--the air was soothing, the mist felt good on my face, and I kept a good pace.  The heavier stuff didn't stop until I was at about the 2.5 mile point.  I decided that I would head home after 3 miles--no need to get caught in a downpour.  BUT as I came to a stop to cross the street to head home, there were cars coming.  Several cars.  I thought, why stand in the rain and wait?  To Hell With It!  I took a right and ran up the street to get the fourth mile in.

Running in the rain is exhilarating.  From the time it started to rain harder, I had a huge smile on my face.  I'm so glad I got out there when I did!  I came in, stripped out of the wet clothes, rewarded myself with a beer, and started dinner.  Get out there and do it!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I run in the rain because I'd never run if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete