Monday, May 27, 2013

Volunteering, running, marathoning...

I'm starting with the most recent and working back.
Sunday we volunteered at the RocknStroll 5k at Riverfest.  I had warned Ty that I would be dragging him out of bed early Sunday morning, but I don't think he took me very seriously.  When I woke him up Sunday morning, he was a bit incredulous.  I got him moving and we made it down to Heifer Village  only a few minutes late.  Before too long, I was cutting up bananas like it was a my job.  Along with two other super nice volunteers, we got the food sliced and set up and ready to go--with time left to visit.  Jessica got there in time to deal with a whiny 12 year old who was ready to go home--and that's a pretty big job!

My first race volunteer experience was over a year ago at the first Women Can Run 5k.  This was race number 3 for volunteering, but I plan for there to be plenty more.  I don't run many 5k's now, but I used to, and I've benefited from hundreds of volunteers over the years I've been running.  I'm ready to be there for more people.  So much goes into making these races happen.  Also, as I saw Sunday, volunteering can help you meet more people, and more awesome people in the running community.  I'm so into that.

Saturday was the Rock Run 8k.  This was my first year to do this one.  I was super happy that Carrie decided to do the run---it's much more fun with friends, even when your friends are faster than you!!  Carrie met me Saturday morning and we rode up together.  Greg was (as usual!!) nice enough to snap a picture of me and share it.  If you don't know Greg, you should.  He has been a friend since before my first marathon and has been nice enough to snap and share pictures going back to my first Hogeye Marathon.

The 8k was fun, but was closer to 5 miles than I realized.  I managed a decent pace--I pushed harder than I did at Toad Suck or the Capital City Classic--and I hope to get a few points in the Grand Prix.  It was great to know that some new runners turned out for the race--Carrie introduced me to a runner from the Cabot WCR clinic.  Since I haven't run this race before, I don't know what the course has been like in the past, but I like the out and back.  It's good to see friends and familiar faces and be able to cheer and be cheered.

Now for the River City Marathon in Peoria, Illinois a week ago.  We left early Saturday morning so that we could make it up to get packets at the expo and have dinner and check in to the hotel.  The drive was long and uneventful, for the most part.  It was good to share it with friends, and Jessica was surprised (was she really?) to see just how long we can talk about running.

The parts of Peoria that we got to see were really nice.  The riverfront is pretty and the expo was open and full of some good, affordable race and running stuff.  We enjoyed the weather while feeling cautious about the heat of the coming race.  The pace teams had been changed in anticipation of a hot day and we were told to be conservative in our expectations for time.  I was oblivious.

I really was.  I had thought briefly about the 4:10 pace team, even, but I settled on the 4:20 pacer.  I thought a 4:20 marathon would be a nice tough challenge but not that big of a deal.  I ran a 4:12 marathon in Little Rock not that long ago, right?  Yeah.

I started out ok.  The pacer was nice and talkative and had some plans to bring the group together as a team.  I love talking and meeting new people in a race.  I was feeling the speed, but hell, I felt it in Little Rock.  I hung in there...until The Hill.  It had been spoken of, this hill at mile 7, but until I was running up  it, I wasn't prepared.  About 3/4 of the way up it, I handed the pacer sign over and started walking--and that was it for me and a 4:20 finish.  I first attempted to run from aid station to aid station.  I was still feeling pretty crappy, though, and it was damn early in the race. Finally, I caved totally and started counting steps.  I ran 75 and walked 25 steps for a good while and finally started to feel better.

Peoria, at least the parts we saw, was genuinely wonderful.  The neighborhoods were  nice and the people were nicer.  So many people were out in their yards--more than I've seen at any race.  The cheering was great--even when they said, "You got this!"  And I thought, you don't know that!!  And I don't look strong!  I look like crap!

But yeah, I kept putting one foot in front of the other.  Over and over and over and fucking over, seriously.  It was one of those races where starting again after walking was sometimes a pure act of spirit and will over body.  I wanted to cry at times.  I teared up.  It just sucked.  It was hot.  I hit up every water hose and sprinkler and dumped water on myself at every water stop.  Sometimes when I dumped water on myself, I could barely feel it.

The last mile or so I ran with a guy from the pace team that I left.  They had left it, too.  It perked me up to run and talk with some people for a while.  Finally crossing the finish was a huge relief.

I wandered aimlessly looking for Jessica.  My calves cramped up horribly and I had to sit twice before I got to a good spot to sit and borrow a phone.  I pouted.  But it was marathon number 16 with a finish in 80 + degree weather.  I got it.

And it was Ruthanne's qualifying race for the maniacs.  I would definitely do it again, and I would recommend the River City Marathon to anyone.  I'm sure that next year will be even better.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pg slot slot xo เว็บไซต์สล็อต slotxo พวกเราเป็นผู้ให้บริการเกมส์ slotxo คาสิโนออนไลน์ ได้เงินจริง แจกฟรีเครดิตทุกวี่ทุกวัน PGSLOT เกมส์สล็อตที่ได้รับความนิยม ของคนสมัยใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  3. pg Slot 99 เกมออนไลน์ ผู้แทนอย่างเป็นทางการของ PGSLOT เกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่มีภาพงามสามารถเล่นได้ทุกแพลตฟอร์ม ไม่ว่าจะเล่นผ่านบราวเซอร์ Chrome , Firefox , Safari อื่นๆอีกเยอะ

    ReplyDelete
  4. slot-web-ตรง สล็อตเว็บตรงคือเว็บไซต์ที่ให้บริการเกมสล็อตออนไลน์โดยตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์หรือเว็บไซต์กลุ่มอื่นๆ PG SLOT ซึ่งสล็อตเว็บตรงนั้นจะมีความน่าเชื่อถือและมั่นคงมากกว่า เนื่องจากมีการดูแลและบริการลูกค้า

    ReplyDelete