Friday, May 13, 2011

On crepe myrtles, magnolias, and why running matters...

Lots of things are crazy in my life right now.  As I was running yesterday, I remembered another time when things were all upside down.  While out on a run, I began to look at what kind of people the trees reminded me off.  The crepe myrtles are my favorites.  As I ran past them (people in my neighborhood really seem to favor them) I started to see something else: young girls with unruly curls, their green skirts held up as they waded through the grass on long, delicate tanned legs.  Near a long straight stretch, two huge old trees rise up alone, hunch-backed hulking giants--friendly ones--gatekeepers to...where?  Some place in the past, maybe.

Running gave me those images, comforting ones as I tried to make sense where none was.  There is none now, but I still have crepe myrtles.  And people to love, and running.

On Friday a week ago I ran my first 5k in a while.  It was an evening race, a hot one, but I decided to do it and to bring along a friend, Savanna, and my son.  Before the race we played with little helicopter toys on the lawn at MacArthur Park, smelled magnolias, and listened to a little music.  I loved being out like that in a place we wouldn't have otherwise come to, being a part of something.  I didn't have a fantastic race, but I did have an amazing time.  That's another reason running matters--it takes me to places I never would have otherwise been, both physically and mentally.  I'm thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment