Monday, June 20, 2011

Finding my happy pace

Yesterday I went to the river trail to do 12 miles.  I knew from my last run up there that I really needed to get started earlier than 7 because the heat gets unbearable at about 8.  Unfortunately, a late night singing karaoke with friends prevented me from getting up any earlier than 6 and I started running at 7.

Instead of heading north toward the Big Dam Bridge, I headed south from the dog park toward downtown.  The first 5 miles or so were pretty fantastic.  A breeze was blowing off the water, most of the trail was in the shade, and I was feeling pretty great.  I've finally learned to drink before I get thirsty, and I realized yesterday that while I may be stopping more often than I used to for water refills and such, I'm running faster.  I would be happy to finish the marathon with 10 minute miles, but right now I seem to fall into about a 9:15 pace, give or take 10 seconds.  I mused as I ran that maybe 9:15 is my happy pace whether I like it or not, and also did some thinking about how they say that distance running is a mind game.  For example, at around mile 6, I thought, I'm tired.  I could walk for just a minute.  And then some other part of my brain said, hell no.  You don't walk for the hell of it.  Then I thought, maybe it's not just that running is a mind game, maybe it's that running nudges the part of my brain that tends toward some kind of multiple personality disorder.

I got down to about the I-30 bridge at about 5 miles and turned around.  I was hoping to be able to do an out and back and end back at my car at 12 miles, but didn't want to run past the bridge.  I considered crossing the Junction Bridge or the Broadway bridge and then coming back, but the lack of shade stopped me.  I'd just have to pass my car for a mile and then come back.  Fine.

It got hotter.  I did more thinking about how, yes, this is hard.  Of course this is hard.  It's just like life--we go through the hard things.  I thought about how, in my life, I used to never deal with hard things until I had no other choice, until all the demands and consequences were shoved up against me and I had to move or suffocate.  With running, I choose hard.  Even if I still might put off things that cause me anxiety, I learn through running that I can choose hard and have faith in my strength--even if sometimes I don't feel like it's there.  I also thought, I can quit.  Why am I doing this again?  When I could be cuddled up in bed, listening to the fan, humming "The Lazy Song" and checking Facebook?  The idea that I can quit is frightening, but it's there and it has to be there for this to mean anything.  Running is an act of will.  It's a choice, but it can't be negotiable--it must be a part of my existence, a part that I take responsibility for.

The last two miles, though, were so so...sucky.  There is about a quarter mile stretch nearing the dam that is sheltered from the river but not from the sun, meaning no breeze and no shade.  It's not that long but it's such a killer.  I ran farther than a mile past the car just to get some time in the shade.  I finally stepped off the trail for just 30 seconds or so to drink and turned around at a very small downhill because I didn't want to have to run back up.  And finally, halfway back through the hot stretch, I hit 12 miles and stopped.

The best part of yesterday's run really has to be the half mile or so walk back to my car.  That breeze was back and I realized that it wouldn't feel nearly so glorious if I weren't so close to heat exhaustion.  I stopped, facing a sycamore tree, with its wide leaves bigger than my hand and naked striped branches.  I looked through it at the striking blue of the sky and the water of the river, and the leaves waved and sang in the wind and I closed my eyes and let it all bless me and I sent that happiness out.  I was so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment