Saturday, June 25, 2011

Making memories--

Since I started running, I always want to share it with other people.  I want to talk about it, I want to talk to other runners, and I want to drag other people into it.  I want new runners to think it's as amazing as I do.  Usually they don't, which I guess confirms what most people believe: runners are crazy, especially distance runners.  I like to think that running gets me more spiritually in tune with the universe, which may further confirm the insanity.

Regardless, the most memorable races and fun times running have been those that involved people who are close to me.  My sister started running last summer and she and I and our dad did some races together.  When we made plans to head up to Indiana to visit family, she and I agreed that running a race up there would be great, so I found the Firecracker 5k in Brazil, Indiana.  There was something about entering a race out of town that made it seem more special.  We got directions, (and got lost a few times), and had a great time racing that morning.  It wasn't just the race--it was getting up early, getting ready, finding a new place and being part of something there--together.

Ty has also run some races with me.  Our first together was the Rollin on the River 5k in North Little Rock.  I looked over at him running with me and was so happy to be bringing him along to do something that had become so important to me.  I also love how much people cheer for kids as they are about to cross the finish line, and it was really great to hear those cheers for Tyler.  This morning while I was running, I thought about how important it is for me to keep bringing him to races and getting him out there running with me.  I want to build a foundation in his life for the importance of fitness, but more importantly, I want to make memories with him.

This morning's 13 miles were pretty good--until that last half mile scorching bit.  I was feeling pretty good until I got to that part, and then every bit of what I had left was burned up by the heat.  There were no beautiful tree/wind experiences after I stopped, but more of a panicked feeling: What if I can't do this?  What if the heat is just too much and I can't do these longer runs?  I've made a plan for my next long run up there to maybe avoid that feeling, but it was a scary one.

No comments:

Post a Comment