Thursday, June 21, 2012

Do it anyway.


This week I've had AP training each morning starting at 8 in Little Rock.  That meant waking up early to get the miles in.  Monday night I set the alarm for 5:30.  The alarm went off and my very first thought was NO.  I'm not doing it.  Forget it.


I lay there for a few minutes thinking it was not possible and I was not going.  But I knew that failing to get up and run meant not running at all.  I had plans Tuesday evening and Wednesday was my first night to have Ty back and I didn't want to spend an hour running after picking him up.


So. I got up.  I thought of a new acquaintance who is blogging about training here.  The newness and enthusiasm of training is nice in comparison to my sort of pissy I don't want to attitude.  And there's Marita who is blaming me for the torture that she's putting herself through.  I'm so proud.  So yeah, I sort of slithered out of bed and got dressed with only a little pouting.


The mornings have really been pretty nice.  On Tuesday I counted 6 rabbits, one with a speckled back.  I saw nearly as many rabbits as squirrels.Wednesday I headed out just after 5:30 to get 7 miles done and it was dim, with a few clouds, but pretty.  I went out on Brockington and passed several people running or walking dogs.  This morning was just a four miler.   It was cool enough again, enough so that the earphones actually stayed in my ears enough to listen to my book for the whole run. 


Three days in a row I did what I didn't want to do....and accomplished what I wanted to accomplish.  I feel so much better than I would have felt if I had stayed in bed.  I want to be able to transfer that to other parts of my life: work, the house, hobbies.  Why do I spend so much time online when I could be playing guitar or learning to crochet better or working in the yard, or just getting all the laundry put away?  I know it's a matter of will-power and doing what I don't want to do, knowing that the results will make me happier and healthier.  I'm thinking I could make some small steps and some commitments to myself.  I don't know where I want to start.


Tomorrow is 7 miles and Sunday is 15.  I look forward to a little extra sleep tomorrow since I don't have to be out early. 


When the title for this post came to me, I thought of this song.  Dream, believe, pray, love, sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment