Sunday, June 24, 2012

One thing.

After just a little procrastinating this morning, I got down to the river and started running at 6.  With a high temperature of around 100 predicted, I knew I couldn't play around with my start time.  The sky was already lightening when I got up and by the time I hit the top of the Big Dam Bridge, the sun was a bright orange button off to the south and east.

On the other side of the bridge, I went towards Rebsamen Park.  The first few miles were clunky--my calves and shins tightened up almost immediately and I clomped along.  After a bathroom stop at Murray Park, they loosened.  I turned around at about the five mile point and retraced my path back.

I decided on no music this morning.  I wanted to be more in tune with my surroundings and listen.  I tried to pick out bird calls when I could--a pair of mourning doves, a cardinal, a few green herons, a host of others, I'm sure.  I heard snatches of conversation from other runners and cyclists, my feet hitting the ground, my breathing, the wind.  Overall my run today was much better than I expected, and I wonder if I'm more centered with my mind more focused on the here and now.

A little over 8 miles in, I stopped back at the Murray Park water fountain to refill my bottles.  A woman was coaxing her dog to drink a bit, and we talked for a few minutes.  I used to fixate much more on not stopping, not giving myself a break, but I'm more relaxed now and I'm glad.  Her dog was a rescue, a small, sweet golden retriever mix named Mistletoe because she was adopted at Christmastime.  She told me about Mistletoe and I told her about Max and Xena and then I moved on.  I like those interactions.  It's part of that community feeling that I get down on the trails.

I get out there and do my miles every week, but that's about the only thing I'm doing that I need to be doing.  I need to work on my eating and drinking habits, the way I spend my time, my house...there are so many areas I need to improve in.  To list every single thing is overwhelming, so today I decided that I will pick one thing every day.  During my morning run I will decide on what it is.  I will commit to myself to do this one thing for this one day.  Then tomorrow I can pick something else.  I have to work on keeping promises to myself without setting myself up to fail.

Today's commitment is to drink more water.  I have a soda addiction--right up to the time that I switch to wine or beer in the evening.  I know this is bad for me, but I have failed at multiple attempts to give it up or cut back.  As I was fixing my breakfast (at 10:30 it wasn't exactly breakfast, but sliced tomatoes from the garden with a bit of Greek Seasoning, salt, and olive oil make a great snack) when I got back home, I craved a Dr. Pepper.  At first I tried not to have one, but then I remembered my track record at trying to give up soda.  I don't need to give it up completely and I don't need to fight myself.  So after my morning sodas, I will make a big cup of ice water.  My hope is that these things will make me feel better and happier and work themselves into my every day routine.

I made the 15 mile point with about a mile left to get back to my car.  I had entertained some thoughts of going all beastmode and running the extra mile, but then I decided to walk and just enjoy it.  I craned my neck to watch the swallows feeding their babies.  I ambled up the bridge and then watched a boat go through the lock.  I read the sign explaining how it worked--I had no idea the lock was filled or drained using gravity, but it's true.  No pumps are used--a valve is opened and the water fills or drains as needed.  As the bridge headed down hill back to Cook's Landing, I stopped to watch the swallows from a different angle, noticing their brownish color and how much smaller they are than I would have thought.

Between my early start and the nice breeze off the river, today was not such a hot run and felt really good.  This ends a 37 mile week.  Next week is a step back week that I imagine my body needs before ramping up to the 40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment